Can You Get a Bond Bond For a Counterfeiting Charge?

Bond Bond For a Counterfeiting Charge

The federal crime of counterfeiting currency is a serious offense that can lead to substantial fines and jail time. Defending against such a charge requires the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. A skilled lawyer can use a variety of strategies to fight the case, including showing that the defendant did not have intent. A lack of intent could be enough to avoid a conviction and get the defendant released on bond before their next court date.

A person can post bail by paying a certain amount of money to the court in cash or an approved cash substitute, such as a cashier’s check. When the accused is arrested, the judge will set a bail bonds amount that they are expected to pay at their next scheduled appearance in court. Often, this amount is higher than the accused or their family can afford.

If the accused does not show up for their court dates, they will be remanded back into custody. This means that they will have to wait until the case is resolved, possibly even years, before they can return home and see their family. In order to avoid being remanded back into custody, the accused will need to work with their lawyer to make sure that they attend all of their scheduled court dates.

Can You Get a Bond Bond For a Counterfeiting Charge?

In some cases, the judge may decide to release a defendant on their own recognizance, which means that they will sign a document saying that they promise to obey all of the restrictions set by the court and that they will appear in court for all of their future appearances. This is an option that can save hundreds or thousands of dollars in bail fees for the accused. In most cases, however, a judge will not consider this type of bond.

The judge may ask the accused or their family questions about their finances when they are setting bail, to make sure that they understand that if they fail to show up for their court appearances then the person who is paying for their bond will have to pay the full amount of their bail. The judge will usually also require that the accused submit a notarized affidavit stating that they are able to pay for their bond in the event that they fail to show up for court.

Most people who do not have the money to pay their own bail will work with a commercial bonding company, also known as a bail bondsman. The bail bondsman will charge a nonrefundable fee, typically around 10% of the total bond amount, in exchange for posting a bail bond for the accused. The bail bondsman will then pledge to pay the court the full amount of the bail if the accused does not show up for their court appearances. Friends and family of the accused can usually contact a bail bond agent on their behalf. The agent will be able to give them information about the process and what to expect.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *